Distracted driving, speeding, and street racing are some of the most dangerous reckless driving behaviors. What makes them inexcusable is the fact that most drivers do them intentionally. They allow distractions because they are confident with their driving skills. They speed because they want to save time. They race on the streets because they want to feel the thrill of it.
There is one more kind of reckless driving that is just as dangerous – drunk driving. Driving while intoxicated is considered an offense, because it poses as a threat not just to the drunk driver, but also to the other motorists around him.
Some of the effects of alcohol on the body include the following:
- Body control problems, particularly the head, arms, and feet, which are all important body parts for driving
- Drowsiness, fatigue, and intense feelings of relaxation that may make the driver close his eyes or fall asleep while on the wheel
- Mental lapses, such as the inability to comprehend traffic lights, understand road signs, and judge the position of vehicles and pedestrians
- Slow reaction to unexpected events, like abruptly turning vehicles and crossing pedestrians
- Vision problems, like blurry vision and slow eye movement
These effects can lead to traffic accidents. Drunk drivers, their passengers, and the other innocent parties around them that may get involved in the accidents may sustain traumatic injuries, particularly in the head, face, neck, chest, shoulder, back, arms, and legs.
There are a variety of defenses against Driving While Intoxicated charges. But when you think about it, avoiding drunk driving is a better choice than trying to defend yourself from suffering the consequences of your reckless behavior.
The best way to avoid drunk driving is to let another person drive for you. If you are planning on drinking, bring someone who is not going to drink alcohol, so he can take you home and prevent you from forcing yourself to drive. You can also use public transportation, such as buses and trains. If you want something more convenient, you can even use ridesharing services such as Lyft and Uber.
Read More »